Pilates is an exercise system that concentrates on developing physical and mental health. It exercises the whole body through a range of mat and equipment based exercises. The entire muscular-skeletal system is re-balanced, improving muscle strength and flexibility.
Muscles that stabilise joints can become weak and underused, which means the body uses other muscles instead, which then become overused and injured resulting in pain. Pilates increases the strength of stabilising muscles thus improving posture and reducing pain.
Pilates will help:
- increase body awareness and posture.
- stabilise shoulder blades and reduce shoulder pain.
- tighten abdominal muscles helping to flatten the stomach.
- strengthen pelvic floor muscles.
- improve gluteal (buttocks) strength and help turn off overused back muscles